The standard Workflow plugin implements a comprehensive workflow system based on Finite state machines.
While the theory may sound a little complex, it’s actually really simple, and is just a way of turning a flowchart into code. A workflow process can be in one of several defined states, and can transition to a defined set of other states from each of those states.
- Complete UI for workflow, including passing tasks to different people with email notifications
- Timeline/audit trail of all actions in a workflow
- Simple note taking for communication between workflow participants
- Expressive yet concise representation of user interface
- API designed for composition of workflow behaviours, so common functionality can be layered without clashing
- Sensible defaults which are easy to override
- Metadata based entities system to route tasks to the right people
- Replacements system and UI, allowing users to be replaced on an ad-hoc basis
- Configurable dashboard showing states of tasks
- Behind-the-scenes admin UI for support and development